Monday, July 5, 2010

Ellen Eagle Workshop - Portrait Painting in Pastel

Ellen Eagle taught a 5 day workshop, Portrait Painting in Pastel, at Studio Incamminati in June 2010.


Ellen Eagle (center) with Studio Incamminati students.




Ellen Eagle demonstrating pastels.

Artist's Statement:
"I paint portraits in pastel. My portraits evolve slowly, during a series of sittings. I don't like to talk much when I work. I like my model to almost forget I am there. Inevitably, during the course of the sittings as the model drifts deeper into his or her own thoughts, he or she experiences deeply felt emotions. And though I respond to the body's genuine expression of those emotions, I am aware that he or she is engaged in private thoughts to which I am not privy.
I strive to express my response through acute observation. Fidelity to my subject's particular qualities is very important to me. Of course, I see through the filter of my own temperament.
I always work in natural light. The most exquisite expression of light I have seen is in the radiance of flesh. The timeless and fleeting human subject as seen in the eternal and ever changing natural light".

Ellen Eagle


5 comments :

  1. This is the first post. I hope you like it! More workshop news coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam, I appreciate your help in getting this blog started! Pam is part of a movement called daily painters. You can see her paintings on her blog at www.pamholnback.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, you're off to a good start with this. Can I pose a technical question that came up as a result of rereading the article on Nelson and Incamminati in "Highlights from Master Teachers"? Ellie Boyd, Southbury CT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie, Sorry it has taken me this long to get back to you, I am still working out the kinks as a blogger! If you subscribed, the newer posts should have just come to you as of yesterday (8/22). Yes, I would be happy to have you pose a technical question. If I can't answer it myself I will ask Nelson or the other instructors at SI.

    ReplyDelete